Practical Neonatal Echocardiography is a concise introduction to the principles and practice of point-of-care echocardiography for neonatologists and other clinicians caring for sick neonates
Practical Neonatal Echocardiography is written to help clinicians develop the skills necessary to perform a high quality neonatal echocardiographic examination, evaluate cardiac function, and recognize abnormalities and defects. This unique text is based on an acclaimed course the authors have taught for the past sixteen years where they train neonatologists and other clinicians in the use of cardiac ultrasound for on-the-spot examination and diagnosis of neonatal patients.
- Provides an introduction to the basic principles of echocardiography and the ultrasound scanners commonly used at pediatric cardiac centers
- Neonatal cardiac anatomy is clearly described through use of 2-dimensional images and video clips
- Chapters teach assessment of cardiac structure and function, central and peripheral blood flow, shunts, and pulmonary pressure
- Myocardial dysfunction, heart failure, shock, hypotension, cardiomyopathy, cyanosis, pulmonary hypertension, and more are discussed in detail with multiple illustrative cases
- Describes common features of ultrasound scanners and how to use them
- Helps clinicians make informed choices about transducer selection, detailing particular advantages and disadvantages
- Includes detailed descriptions of detecting abnormalities of cardiovascular function with and without congenital defects
- Bolstered by more than 200 video clips (available at PracticalNeonatalEcho.com) that display real-life examples of normal vs. abnormal cardiac function in neonates
About the Author
Bijan Siassi, MD is Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Radiology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California.
Shahab Noori, MD is Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Radiology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, and attending neonatologist, Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles.
Ruben Acherman, MD is Professor of Pediatric Cardiology, University of Nevada.
Pierre Wong, MD is Associate Professor of Pediatric Cardiology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California; and Director, Echocardiography Lab and Cardiac Pathology Registry, Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles.