Master the basic principles of pharmacology and safe medication administration with Clayton’s Basic Pharmacology for Nurses 18th Edition. Known for its impeccably accurate and up-to-date drug content, this best-selling text consistently underscores medication safety as it guides you in applying pharmacology information to the nursing process. Introductory units acquaint you with the basic principles of pharmacology and medication administration, while subsequent body-system units prepare you to apply the nursing process to every major disorder.
Clear guidelines cover safe drug handling, the types of drugs used for disorders or to affect body systems, injection and enteral administration, and patient education. From a respected author team, Clayton’s Basic Pharmacology for Nurses 18th Edition also provides an excellent review for the pharmacology questions on the NCLEX® examination.
- Medication safety is underscored through Medication Safety Alerts and Clinical Pitfall boxes, as well as Do-Not-Confuse and High Alert icons.
- Unit on medication administration clearly and visually outlines assessment, techniques, procedures, and documentation for safe administration of percutaneous, enteral, and parenteral drugs.
- Application of the nursing process offers an overview of general principles of nursing care for each disorder as well as specific nursing considerations for the drug treatment.
- Lifespan Considerations boxes for children and for older adults draw attention to information that would be especially important when giving a specific drug to patients of those age groups.
- Drug tables clearly outline generic and brand names, availability, and dosage ranges for key medications for each disorder.
- Clinical Goldmine boxes focus on best practices in the clinical setting.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination! section at the end of each chapter covers key points from the chapter as well as review questions to help prepare for course assessments and the NCLEX Examination.
- Video clips on medication administration procedures provide a visual reference for safe medication administration.
- Key terms with phonetic pronunciations and text page references are listed at the beginning of each chapter.
- NEW! Chapter on Neurodegenerative Disorders covers drugs for dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease.
- NEW! Updated guidelines on diabetes, heart failure, asthma, COPD, and cancer ensure readers are versed in the latest treatment protocols.
- NEW! Accurate and up-to-date coverage includes the most recent FDA approvals, withdrawals, therapeutic uses, and content on cultural considerations related to each drug class.