The Spine―a volume in the new Arthritis and Arthroplasty series―offers expert guidance on everything from patient selection and pre-operative planning to surgical approaches and techniques. Francis H. Shen and Christopher I. Shaffrey present clear, evidence-based coverage detailing which technology and methodology is best for each patient.
Access discussions of debates on anterior versus posterior approaches for the surgical management of cervical myelopathy, indications for thoracoscopic surgery, options for minimally invasive surgery (MIS) in degenerative spinal conditions, and more.
Explore the role for evolving technologies and non-fusion techniques for the management of various spinal pathologies and view expertly narrated video demonstrations of surgical techniques. In addition to providing practical, pragmatic advice in a concise, readable format, this Expert Consult title offers the full text of the book, as well as links to PubMed and periodic content
- Provides evidence-based, clinically focused guidance on patient selection, pre-operative planning, surgical approach and techniques, instrumentation, disease specific options, the management and avoidance of complications, and more.
- Discusses variations in technique, including thoracoscopy, microdiscectomy, interbody fusion, osteotomies, laminectomy, MIS decompression techniques and more.
- Explores alternatives to fusion in younger arthritic patients, including disc arthroplasty, facet joint replacement, nucleus replacement.
- Includes a review page in every chapter for quick reference to pearls and pitfalls for each topic.
- Presents photographs and interpretive drawings of surgical techniques in full color to bring out intraoperative details as they appear in the operating room.
- Features procedural videos―narrated by experts―on the included DVD so you can see how to perform particular techniques.
Your purchase entitles you to access the web site until the next edition is published, or until the current edition is no longer offered for sale by Elsevier, whichever occurs first. Elsevier reserves the right to offer a suitable replacement product
About the Author
Dr. Shen cares for patients with spinal pathology through a combination of both operative and nonoperative techniques. When surgery is required, Dr. Shen combines both traditional open surgical techniques with cutting-edge minimal invasive techniques individualized to the patient’s specific spine pathology.
Dr. Shen’s lab is also improving the future of patient care by applying tissue engineering principles to solve clinically relevant problems. He is dedicated to advancing the future of spine surgery by training not only post-doctorate research fellows, but also training the next generation of clinical spine surgeons as well.
Dr. Shen has special expertise in surgery of the cervical, thoracic and lumbosacral spine, including anterior and posterior approaches. He also manages degenerative conditions, spinal deformity, trauma, tumors and infections of the spine. In addition to traditional open surgery, Dr. Shen also specializes in minimally invasive surgery, image guided spine surgery and microsurgery. Awards: 2016-2018 Best Doctors in America® List